Sweden has around 50 higher education institutions (HEIs). There are 2 categories of HEIs in Sweden: university and university college. There are around 3 private institutions that operate inependently. In 2017/2018 academic year, there is a total of 37,834 international students in Sweden and 64% of it were full degree students. Around one quarter of the number of students are in Sweden. According to QS World Ranking in the year 2020, the Lund University in Lund has the 92nd place. For more information on HEIs in Sweden, please visit Swedish Higher Education Authority (UKÄ) at https://english.uka.se/.

Educational Structure
In Sweden, the HEIs have the usual tertiary education path of a Bachelor’s followed by a Master’s and then a Doctorate degree. The full-time Bachelor’s degree usually lasts for three years. The Master’s degree lasts around 1-2 years whereas the duration to complete Doctorate degree varies between institutions. Professional degree programs like medicine take 5-5.5 years for completion. Students can apply for undergraduate programs with an upper-secondary education certificate or the equivalent. Admission into a Master’s degree requires a Bachelor’s degree and it may vary between institutions. Application for doctorate degrees can be done with a Master’s degree. English is widely spoken in Sweden and a majority of programmes offered are in English. Most HEIs in Sweden has a centralized system for application and admission and it differs for language of medium of instruction. For informations and programmes that are in English, it is available at https://www.universityadmissions.se/. As for informations in Swedish and programmes taught in Swedish, it is available at http://antagning.se/. There are two semesters for intake in Sweden. The autumn and spring semester. There are two admission rounds for each semester. Typically, the first application round is for all the courses taught in English and the second application round is for all the courses taught in Swedish. An online account has to be created at respective websites to begin application process. For institutions that have their separate admission process, it can be done on the website of the institution and not at the two links given previously. English proficiency test is usually required, and the requirements vary with institutions and courses.

Application and tuition fees for higher education are exempted for citizens of any EU/EEA country, Switzerland or anyone with a Swedish permanent or temporary resident permit not based on studies. This exemption can be checked on the two admission websites by using the Swedish personal ID number. Students with citizenship of a country outside Switzerland and the EU/EEA will need to pay an application fee of 900SEK when first apply for admission. Tuition fees paid to the university are from around SEK 80,000 to SEK 130,000 a year. Cost of living, and textbooks have to be paid regardless of citizenship. Textbook may cost around 750SEK a month. And as for cost of living, it is around 8000 SEK a month inclusive of rent. 

Information for International Students
For studies that are longer than 3 months, non-citizen of EU, EEA and citizens of Switzerland need a residence permit. It is required to pay the first instalment of tuition fee after receiving notification of acceptance, permit application needs to be done be applied as soon as possible at https://www.migrationsverket.se/English/Private-individuals/Studying-in-Sweden/Universities-and-university-college/How-to-apply/Apply-now.html. Application form and all the necessary documents need to be submitted to the Migration Agency. The Migration Agency will process the online application. And an interview will be held at local Swedish embassy or consulate. For countries whose citizens need an entry visa to Sweden, this entry visa can be applied after receiving the approval for residence permit. If entry visa is not required, proof of decision from the Migration Agency needs to be provided upon arrival in Sweden. The residence permit card will be given after arriving in Sweden. Documents that are usually required are copies of passport, proof of admission from the HEI, copy of documents proving that application of health insurance has been completed, and proof of financial ability.