Taiwan has 154 higher education institutions (HEIs). There are 4 categories of HEIs in Taiwan; National University, National Technical University, Private University and Private Technical University. There are 33 national universities, 15 national technical universities, 37 private universities and 68 private technical universities. There are around 61,970 foreign students in degree programs. Mainland China sends the highest number of students to Taiwan, followed by Malaysia then Japan and South Korea. 20% of international students study the area of arts and humanities, 19% of them study business, management and law related majors whereas 18% of students are in engineering majors. According to QS World Ranking in the year 2020, two universities are in the top 200. The National Taiwan University has world rank of 20 whereas the National Tsinghua University is ranked at 173. For more information on Taiwan’s HEIs, please visit Ministry of Education, Taiwan at https://english.moe.gov.tw/.

Educational Structure
In Taiwan, the HEIs have the usual tertiary education path of a Bachelor’s followed by a Master’s and then a Doctorate degree. The full-time Bachelor’s degree usually lasts four years. The Master’s degree needs to be completed in 1-4 years whereas the Doctorate degree is limited to 2-7 years. Professional degree programs like Bachelor of Laws and Bachelor of Architecture take 5 years for completion. As for bachelor programs in medicine, veterinary medicine, pharmacy and dentistry require 6 years to complete. Students can apply for undergraduate programs with a high school diploma. Admission into a Master’s degree requires a Bachelor’s degree. Application for doctorate degrees can be done with a Master’s degree. HEIs in Taiwan typically use Mandarin as the language of instructions. Currently, there are 66 Bachelor’s degree, 241 Master’s degree and 148 Doctorate degree in Taiwan that use English 90% of the time. Mandarin is widely used in Taiwan. Applications can be sent directly to the respective institutions. HEIs in Taiwan do not utilize a centralized system for applications and admissions. Chinese language proficiency may need to be proven with the Test of Chinese as a Foreign Language (TOCFL) for non-international or non-English taught degree programs. The requirement for English language proficiency varies with institution. 

Typical tuition and miscellaneous fees for international students are around US$800-15,000 a year. Living expenses are around US$ 150-450 a month and accommodation for on-campus is around US$30-200 a month or US$200-600 a month for off-campus. 

Information for International Students
Eligibility for application differs for international students, students from Hong Kong of Macao and overseas Chinese students. The regulations can be found in the website of ministry of education. The tuition fees for overseas Chinese students are the same as Taiwanese students and tuition fees for international students are double of Taiwanese students. Scholarship for all students are available for application, the process and eligibility vary with institutions. For duration of stay that is more than 6 months, a Resident Visa has to be applied at local Taiwanese representative office. Upon arrival in Taiwan, the Alien Resident Certificate (ARC) will be given. This process may cost around NTD3,000. Foreign students will need to join the International Student Medical Insurance before joining the National Health Insurance. This costs NTD500 a month. The National Health Insurance is mandatory for international students with Alien Resident Certificate after living in Taiwan for 4 consecutive months. For part-time work, international students are required to apply for the work permit and the maximum work hours during academic term are 20 hours per week. Some of the documents required for visa applications are two passport-size photographs, photocopy of the passport that does not expire within 6 months, original document and a photocopy of health certificate, admission documents, original and copy of highest education certificates and proof of financial support.